How to get Polish citizenship and passport

Our Dear “Polish Family” members,

Kliczkow castle

Recently, we receive more and more inquiries from our former and new tourists about the possibility of obtaining Polish citizenship and then a Polish passport. Below, we present the most important information regarding the requirements for obtaining Polish citizenship. If you are interested in additional information, please contact us or Polish embassies and consulates in your country.

Confirmation of possession or loss of Polish citizenship

You apply for confirmation of possession or loss of Polish citizenship when:

You have a valid Polish passport or valid Polish ID card;

You have a valid foreign passport and you do not have a valid Polish passport or a valid Polish ID card, or one of your parents has a valid or invalid Polish passport or a valid or invalid Polish ID card;

You have a valid foreign passport, in turn one of your parents, grandparents or great-grandparents has a Polish passport or Polish ID card and left Poland shortly after World War II, during the war or in the interwar period;

You have a valid foreign passport with a visa to enter Poland for the purpose of repatriation;

 You must obtain confirmation of Polish citizenship by a third party (living or deceased) in connection with other proceedings, eg divorce, inheritance, compensation for leaving real estate outside the present borders of the Republic of Poland;

There was a full adoption of the child by a person or persons having Polish citizenship, which took place before the child turned 16;

You were born in Poland and your parents are unknown, do not have any citizenship or their citizenship is undefined.

Note !: A different catalog of documents applies to each of the above circumstances.

  1. Conditions that I must meet:

    There is no register of Polish citizens.

    Before you start filling out the application for confirmation of Polish citizenship, carefully read the instruction on its last page and strictly follow the instructions provided there.

    The application for confirmation of Polish citizenship by a minor child is signed and submitted by one of the parents or both of the child’s parents or their legal guardian.

    If your representative is a spouse, ascendent, descendant or siblings, you do not have to pay stamp duty for the power of attorney.

    A power of attorney submitted in connection with the confirmation of Polish citizenship does not require a notarized confirmation of your signature.

    Documents drawn up in a foreign language are submitted together with a translation into Polish made or confirmed by a Polish sworn translator or at a Polish consular post. The list of sworn translators is available on the website of the Ministry of Justice.

    In the absence of your or your parents’ Polish documents, you can apply to the city office competent for the place of last residence, the appropriate Registry Office or the archive or the Institute of National Remembrance, which stores emigration documents issued by the authorities of the Polish People’s Republic until 1989 to obtain them. If you have difficulties finding the right institution, contact the General Directorate of State Archives – Central Archives Information Center (ul. Rakowiecka 2D, 02-517 Warsaw) or use the online databases at

    In accordance with the provisions of the law, the obligation to provide data and information that will allow to establish the factual and legal status rests with you. At the same time, you are obliged to submit documents that will confirm this data and information.

    Documents collected in the case files will not be returned.

    For more information you may contact us by email:

Book or send your inquiry here

Send tour program to